Frequently Asked Questions
A. What is clinical psychology?
- The organization of the brain is very complex; different areas and network control different aspects of cognitive functioning, emotional reactions and daily activities.
- Clinical neuropsychology emphasizes the study of the relationship between brain functioning, behavior and emotion.
B. What are the uses of clinical neuropsychology?
1. Neuropsychological assessment
- Primarily assess the existing cognitive functions, including abstract reasoning, memory, visual-spatial perception, verbal abilities and executive functions.
- Assessment results provide information for accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
3. Evaluation of Treatment Progress
- A comprehensive treatment program can be devised based on the assessment results, disgnosis and needs of patients and carers.
Treatment could aim at enabling a patient to:
- Fully utilize existing cognitive functioning
- Adjust quickly to life after illness
- Maintain a high quality of life
4. Monitoring the Progress of Rehabilitation
- Periodic assessment can assist in monitoring the progress of rehabilitation.
- Neuropsychological research enables deeper understanding of different types of brain illness and their specific impact on cognitive functioning.
- Research results are important to the diagnosis and planning of rehabilitation.
C. What are the applications of clinical neuropsychology?
Some of the examples are listed below:
- Head injury
- Developmental disorder
- Brain Tumor
D. What kind of referral questions can clincal neuropsychology answer?
- What are the effects of meningitis (stroke, brain trauma etc.) on the patient's cognitive functioning? Where are the affected sites? How could we assist the patient fully utilized the remaining cognitive abilities?
- Is the young child suffering from global developmental delay or specific cognitive deficits? What kind of training can assist him/her? What kind of school or training institute is suitable for him/her?
E. Where can one get clinical neuropsychological services?
- Qualified clinical psychologists or clinical neuropsychologists can provide neuropsychological assessment and can plan rehabilitation program.
- They are mostly working in the following types of institutions: